When Stopped by a Police Officer

Police officers must continually engage citizens during the course of their duties. Law enforcement officers are trained how to do so safely, efficiently and effectively. A problem can occur, however, when citizens do not know how to react and respond when approached or engaged by a police officer.

If you are not sure why you are being detained or contacted, ask politely at the appropriate time. Keep in mind that some investigations are time sensitive and the officer may not have time to explain things to you.

During Your Contact

  • Provide respectful, forthright responses
  • Avoid sudden unexplained movements
  • Keep your hands visible at all times. Do not put them in your pockets
  • If in a vehicle, pull over safely out of the flow of traffic
  • At night, turn on the interior light in your vehicle
  • Do not get out of the vehicle unless told to do so
  • Place your hands on the steering wheel
  • Remain calm and ask permission before making a movement
  • Do not argue. Guilt or innocence can only be determined in court

In addition to a traffic stop or in response to a 9-1-1 call in your neighborhood, there are3 a variety of reasons why an officer would want to talk to you:

  • A crime has just occurred in the area
  • You could be a possible witness
  • You might fit the description of the suspect
  • Another citizen pointed you out as a witness or suspect
  • Officers' observations may lead them to think you need assistance or are acting suspicious

If you are arrested, do not resist arrest even if you believe the arrest is unfair. You can plead "not guilty" to the charge and have your day in court before a Judge.

If you feel you need to make a complaint about the arrest, the officer, or how you were treated, you can call and speak the Patrol Commander at 913-262-2364. You can file a formal written complaint bit filling out complaint form below and returning it to the Fairway Police Department, 5252 Belinder, Fairway, KS  66205. 

Comment & Complaint Form Comment & Complaint Form