Utility Outages & Emergencies Should Be Reported Directly to the Utility Provider

Power outages and fallen power lines are to be reported to Evergy(DO NOT use the City request form) 

  • Stay away from power lines, meters and other equipment. Always assume a downed power line is still energized and do not approach it.
  • Evergy: Report a power outage or a fallen power line through our online form you have access to the internet or a smartphone. Or call our automated response line at 1-888-544-4852These methods are automated because that’s the fastest way to get your information to our crews who are working to restore power. 

Natural Gas Emergency Service Only: (DO NOT use the City request form) 
Kansas Gas Service - To report a natural gas odor or emergency leave the area immediately and then call 911 and 1-888-482-4950. 
24 hours a day including holidays and weekends.

Water Leak or Main Break Reporting to WaterOne(DO NOT use the City request form)
To report a water leak, main break or emergency service problem contact WaterOne at 913-895-1800. WaterOne provides emergency response 24 hours a day. 
*Internal plumbing and the service line are the responsibility of the homeowner.


Trash, Recycling or Yard Waste Collection:
(DO NOT use the City request form)

If you are needing to report a collection issue please contact GFL by email or call 816-380-5595 x3. Missed collections are to be reported within 24 hours. Missed collections that are reported after Tuesday may not be collected until the following week.

You may also report collection issues by calling City Hall at 913-262-0350 ext 0.